Saturday, July 9, 2011

This is something that a friend of ours wrote; I was so inspired, that I thought that I would share it here for all for you. :)

There's not a person that we as Christians shouldn't love.   Now, I'm not suggesting you should like a person, necessarily, but love them with a Christian love, a love that the world has mostly lost. It's a decision to Love. If anyone has a moment, I have... a few thoughts on this type of Christian love, this inherent valuing of all human life.   1. All people are people. This is one of those profound-simplistic things. Every single human being you have ever met has feelings, thoughts, and a soul; they have views and thoughts about you, in turn, and about their world. (In other words, you aren't the only person in the world with a brain.) Just because of this, they are infinitely valuable. I try to treat them accordingly.   2. Slightly selfishly, I also think you can learn things from becoming familiar with anyone, even if they are negative things, or "don't"s. Therefore, put your whole mind into conversing with people, then afterward, digest the conversation depending on the depth of the subject. You will learn--whether about the person, about the world, or about life in general. Thought of this kind is always worthwhile; it gives value to a person, which is, I believe, love of a sort.   3. Love repays. I think that every ounce of positive energy you send out will return to you. That in itself should motivate the most indifferent--every quarter you give to the offering, every blade of grass you mow, every joke you tell to comfort those wearing a raincloud hat, will come around, in greater quantity. "Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." Period.   4. Love is appreciated. You never know who that random guy you smile to is, what his life's like. Maybe he's had a bad day. Maybe he just heard his sister died; maybe his wife is in the hospital; maybe he just got the pink slip. Smile so he knows you value him, just for existing. (Just don't be creepy about it.) One smile can turn one's mood for the whole day--I speak from experience. Just smile for the person, not at  them, and you'll be fine.   5. Love is a calling card. Christians are told to love their neighbor as themselves (which, sometimes, can honestly be quite a lot). Remember, you represent a whole group of the people who have been so astronomically lucky, that they are chosen from the billions of the world to spend eternity in a place more wonderful than anything in the universe. While this may not make you laugh out loud, it can at least make you feel safe and content if you just consider it for a moment longer than usual. Share this contentment! I don't mean to replay dull platitudes, but just be pleasant and courteous. Don't ever act angry in public. Don't insult anyone, ever! You don't know the meaning your words may have for someone. Try to mean everything you say. "How's it going?" sounds too offhand for me. I believe "How are you doing?" is a great greeting. And actually ask.   6. Perhaps most importantly, love is our owe to the ultimate Creator of the universe. He had no reason to love us. We essentially embody everything that He finds disgusting, but He noticed us! The dust specks on His shoe, so to speak. And He loved  us! He loved us so much that He gave us a chance to live for all of eternity! Keep it in mind when you're in an antisocial mood.   But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8) God Himself considered us, and them, worth dying for.   Are our words and smiles too high a price?

11 comments:

  1. That is really neat. I really enjoyed that! Most of his thoughts have been some of my own. Especially when I am with someone (or people) that are really annoying and are not anyone that I would think I would want to hang out with, and I think, "I don't really like you, but hey! I love you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.... I really liked reading that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, good reminders. I needed to read that this week, so thanks for puttin' it on here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are welcome. I really loved reading it too, and I thought what was really cool about it was that the guy who wrote it is only 15! I wish all 15 year old boys could think like that.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I think I know theguy who wrote that!!
    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Meredith!! I'm so happy to have another follower!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meredith, do you have a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, my blog is up: thetimewearegiven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I found it but it won't let me comment. You have to go to where you can edit your comments, and click the button that lets everyone comment; but make sure to hit 'save' or it will not work.
    I love the name!! And Jesse likes the background. :) I can't wait to read more!! =D

    P.S.
    If I do comment, my 'name' will show up as 'Miller Family Aquaponics'. Just so you know... :)

    ReplyDelete